As a writer, I’m always looking for ways to improve, however I need to. Then I came across Create A Story, a children’s creative writing book in the making, and guess what? They asked me to review their early preview of the book! It was an honour to be offered something such as this! I agreed and tried it out, and let me tell you this: it was PAWSOME! Create A Story is definitely the go-to book for children between 7-11 who are new to the world of writing, but even kids who have been writing stories for a long time will benefit from it! I must admit, even I did! And, as promised, I am sharing my thoughts on the early preview book. Below are the 11 reasons why I love Create A Story!
- A writing topic is given and clearly explained so you have a better image in your head of what you are going to be writing about.
- The story is split into sections, making it easier for you to plan each part.
- Examples of main characters, villains and optional pets are shown so you have more ideas about your own characters.
- Once you choose a main character, you analyse them step by step, from their personality to the items that they are carrying. Very helpful so you know what your character is going to do in the story.
- Powerful vocabulary is used in the explanations to enrich knowledge and tricky words are underlined with meanings given beside them.
- To prompt setting descriptions, small spaces for the five senses are used so you can note down what you see, smell, taste, feel and hear.
- A space for drawing the setting can be used so that you have a clearer image of it in your head.
- The book gives examples of high-level grammar features that could be used in the story. These features are practised in short learning activities.
- At the end of the planning, a tick list is shown for you to be able to check that you have everything for your story.
- Before beginning writing, fun facts about the writing topic are given so that they can be used in the story, bringing it more to life.
- And most importantly, it makes writing fun!
Once again, I would like to say that I definitely recommend Create A Story to children writer wannabes and those who want to improve their writing! Parents can buy this book for their children as its features are hugely beneficial , and I have enjoyed writing with it! Keep an eye out for its launch very soon!
p/s: Special thanks to Andrew Massingham for honouring me with the early preview of the book!
Create A Story